Sensitivity of Alpha-Methylacyl-COA Racemase (AMACR) Staining in Prostatic Adenocarcinoma

Authors

  • Suresh Kumar
  • Uzma Bukhari
  • Bushra Sikandar
  • Aneeta George
  • Yusra Memon
  • Nehad Khan
  • Asma Bukhari

Abstract

Objectives: To determine the sensitivity of Immunohistochemistry for confirmation of diagnosis of prostate adenocarcinoma in our setup.
Methodology: This descriptive cross sectional study was conducted at Pathology Department of Shaukat Khanum Memorial Cancer Hospital and Research Center, in a period of six months from September 2012 to March 2013, taking a sample size of 80 biopsy proven cases of prostatic Adenocarcinoma with Non-probability purposive sampling technique. SPSS version 16 was used for data analysis. The qualitative variables like expression of AMACR were presented as frequencies and percentages. Chi square was used with a p value <0.05 taken as significant.
Results: The mean ± SD age of patients was 67.81±7.25 years with a range from 51 to 85 years. The mean ± SD Gleason score of these patients was 6.99±1.52. About 51.2% (n=41) patients were of age group 61-70 years, 33.8% (n=27) were between 71-80 years, only 2.5% (n=2) were of age 81 years and above. Well-differentiated cases of prostatic adenocarcinoma were 3.8% (n=3), 52.5% (n=42) were moderately while 43.8% (n=35) were poorly differentiated. Out of all 100% (n=80) cases 91.2% (n=73) were expressed positive with AMACR staining while remaining 8.8% (n=7) were AMACR negative.
Conclusion: AMACR staining is highly sensitive diagnostic tool and should be carried out in all patients who present with doubtful picture of prostatic cancer.
Keywords: AMACR Staining, Prostatic Adenocarcinoma, PSA, Gleason Scoring, Immunohistochemistry.

Downloads

Published

2020-12-31

How to Cite

1.
Kumar S, Bukhari U, Sikandar B, George A, Memon Y, Khan N, Bukhari A. Sensitivity of Alpha-Methylacyl-COA Racemase (AMACR) Staining in Prostatic Adenocarcinoma. J Liaq Uni Med Health Sci [Internet]. 2020 Dec. 31 [cited 2024 May 19];19(04):275-9. Available from: http://ojs.lumhs.edu.pk/index.php/jlumhs/article/view/494

Most read articles by the same author(s)